Unit 1 - World War I - Enlistment and Fighting on the Western Front
This unit introduces a student inquiry into World War I by focusing on the experience of one individual.
The Learning Sequence deals with:
- The Historical Context, where students are asked to consider Australia’s response to the outbreak of war in 1914.
- Part 1, a source based inquiry built around the enlistment of an individual in 1915. This part includes a major writing task.
- Part 2, a source based inquiry into the experience of the same individual on the Western Front.
This unit directly supports the Australian Curriculum: History, Years 9 and 10. However, it may be adapted for student research or extension work in any year or for primary years.
- Introduction (teachers)
- Learning Sequence (teachers)
- Historical Context - Australia’s response to the outbreak of war in 1914 (teachers and students)
- Skills Activities Part 1: Enlistment, 1915 (students)
- Skills Activities Part 2: Fighting on the Western Front (students)
- Teacher Resource 1 (TR 1) — Curriculum Links (teachers)
- Student Resource 1 (SR 1) — Video Questions (students)
- Student Resource 2 (SR 2) — Enlistment Sources (students)
- Teacher Resource 2 (TR 2) — Marking Criteria (teachers)
- Student Resource 3 (SR 3) — Western Front Sources (students)